Tuesday, September 27, 2011

County Honey Show


Competition  Honey


I attended the midlands county honey show for the first time on Saturday 24th September. It was held at Hatton Country Park, which is a kind of country farm that has been converted into a shopping centre with country activities. The old stables have been converted into shops which sell fresh produce, a clothes store as well as a sweet shop and a couple of boutiques  selling trinkets and furniture. It has the mandatory tea shop selling cakes etc and a restaurant. It also has lots of activities for children, including things like rides and various animals like sheep and horses. The animals and the rides are quite pricey.

Darker Honeys
The Honey show was disappointing for none bee keepers I sow a number of people go into the marquee and then come out somewhat disappointed, not everyone mind. I saw one woman who's friend was on the other side of the complex, when her friend waved and motioned should she come over to the honey show her friend shook her head and gave the thumbs down sign. The symbolism says it all. The woman wasn't impressed and didn't want her friend to waste her time. I was kind of disappointed at least she should have let here friend decide if she like it.

The honey show was in a large marquee. I sow lots of different coloured honey, I also sow various wax products. As a beekeeper I was interested and must admit I sow nothing new, but am still considering entering some exhibits next year. It had some interesting pictures which were not shown predominately, though worth a look.

Their were two frames of bees that were previously visible at the Birmingham Honey show and Candle making was also on run by John from the Birmingham honey show which my daughter did a couple of weeks ago. Honey tasting was also available, unfortunately I didn't get to try any.

Lots of good knowledgeable people on hand to share their knowledge and passion for the subject, even a demonstration hive to show people what's inside a hive.


I enjoyed it.

No comments: