Monday, September 19, 2011

Tired and slow weekend



Firstly the bee keeping.
I have finished the varroa treatments this weekend and all went well. I'm hoping that the vorroa are down to none or a very small number, so that the bees have a good start in the new year.  All the colonies have plenty of food. I have concerns about one hive, going though the winter. It was a swarm that I found earlier in the year and only a couple of weeks ago was doing well. The bees are now down to 1-2 frames. They have 12 kg's on fondant so lots of food, I can see eggs etc, and it looks like I have lots a swarmed, late in the year. Nightmare for me. I have spoken to other beekeepers and some reckon that I should consolidate them with another hive. Some reckon that I should try and see it through the winter. Not much time to put a decent plan together just time for action.

The Orchard
All well, it seems. However I was tired and literally wondered around did a little weeding and then went back home. The weather was great, I sow lots of insects including crickets, one or 2 about and inch long but loads calling, various bees and wasps still lots of birds around. I have some small animals digging holes, perhaps rabbits, moles, voles. I have seen worm mounds and cleaned up some nettles, but load more to do. I should have done more fencing but wasn't in the mood.

I listened to honey related programs this week on radio 4. The Food Programme and farming today both interesting, it sounds like the demand for my honey will grow in the UK. The imports of Honey from South America may have to be reduced, due to genetically modified crops. The food program also mention bans from India and synthetic honey. Wired Synthetic honey!

No comments: