Monday, April 1, 2013

Started to put more manure under trees


This weekend I went back into the hive that had been invaded by a mouse or a mice. I have take some pictures and have uploaded them as part of the the previous diary entry. I have sealed up the hive and will trashing the contents of the hive.
Bovine Manure spread beneath young trees.
Its the spring convention in a couple of weeks and I will be buying some new bits. Which include wax and frames and a new smoker.  The fondant, frames, honey etc from the attacked hive will have to be trashed. However I want the hive up and ready as soon as possible, before the swarming season begins. I am also going to buy some coloured wax to make roller candles, for a school summer fete, I am thinking of doing, and being encourage at my daughters school. My young son Hemish is now keen to suit up and go into a hive with me.

I also started to put manure under the trees again. it will take a couple of weeks as it takes a while to get to each and every tree. I feel I should order more manure but don't intend to until I have used up as much as I can of what is already on site. I put

bovine manure on to give the trees more nutrients and to making the soil beneath the trees of a better quality. It is working. Its hard work and I need to buy a new wheel barrow, something which I may do this week. I have to march round each and every tree and dump the manure. I return later and spread the manure evenly with a spade.
Line of trees with bovine manure underneath
Most of the snow has melted and the animals are coming back into the orchard, or are more visible. I have see rabbits and lots of birds. However though I am not certain, i think the orchard and the surrounding areas have less rabbits than normal. The bird numbers seem to me to be up.  I saw some larger birds around the orchard over the past couple of days.

The buds on the trees continue to grow, and my expectation of planting more pollarded willow hasn't gone to plan this year. Because of the prolonged cold spell that we have had I haven't had the time to source and plant the willow. I will try again later this week however with the Easter break and and normal work commitments it may be difficult.

No comments: