Saturday, March 30, 2013

Not a good start for the Bees

Mice Dropping on Fondant and dead bees
I checked on the bees in the in the orchard and one of the hives had been attacked by a mice. I'm not sure how but the mouse guard had fallen away, which left the entrance wide open.

I haven't been through the hive completely but found dead bees on the top and within the hive and lots of sugar fondant, which would have kept them going during the snow and cold weather we've been having. From what I could see the mouse or mice have got into the hive and eaten the bees and the some of the wax at the bottom of the hive. I can see see honey in the frames, however as soon as I went into the hive I could see something was different. I saw lots of dead bees and none were moving and even though it was cold none came up to see what was going on.
Dead bees in the hive
I also saw mouse droppings within the hive and on the sugar fondant I took 1 frame out and saw the honey, however none of the bees came up as I would have expected. Within the next couple of days I will have to bring the hive back to the house and clear it up. I will trash the fondant, and the honey. I may try and salvage the wax to see if I can make a candle from it. I will the scorched the hive and put in new foundation. This will give me a hive later the in season when swarming season starts.




No comments: