Friday, March 1, 2013

Been busy, quick update.

I must apologise for not making my weekly entries over the past couple of weeks. Its poor time management on my part. Its been very busy, with one thing and another.


Bees are fine and have come through the winter. I have given them more food and they are doing fine. Hoping for a better year and in a couple of weeks I want to change the wax in all the hives and feed them so that have a chance to clean up everything. This will also reduce the chance of some of the more come diseases. It may mean feeding the bees to strengthen, them while they draw out the comb though.

Pruning still on going. I have even encouraged my daughter to have a go, and keep me company. She likes it, but only while I am paying attention. Its also fun snipping the twigs. We have done most of the apple and pear trees. The Plum and Cherry trees aren't going to get pruned.

Ground is very wet, having to wear willies and its very worrying. I want to get more manure around the trees but getting that down into the orchard is going to be a problem, the ground is just too wet. The picture is from a couple of weeks ago. Its dryer now, but the ground is still soft and squiggly.

Buds are getting larger, which is a lovely sight. The bigger and larger they get, the more optimistic I get, for fruit later in the year. Its a false though, because after the buds the blossom and the fruit etc.

lots of wildlife everything from bugs birds pests and rodents. This were two ladybirds handing out in the grass, on a warmer afternoon a couple of weeks ago.



I am also hearing rumours that the HS2 line will go through the orchard. This is another reason for the lack of communication. The planned train line goes through/along side the orchard. It may be under the compulsory purchase scheme. I didn't get the letter, but have made enquires as most of the neighbours have.
I will hear within the next 14 days.

I have been working on this project for more than 5 years and in my mind I sow myself in the orchard in 30 years. It may not happen now, which is sad.

Will keep you posted.

No comments: