Monday, January 23, 2012

Warmer Weekend


This weekend was far warmer than last. I check on the trees all seem fine though I have noted a little more rabbit damage to one of the trees.
Old branch gnawed by rabbits
I have also seen that the rabbits have been gnawing some of the dead wood and have made a good attempt and are getting through it.

This week I have also seen a large number of worm casts around the place. Some as large as 10cm's in diameter and others much smaller. I don't know much about worm casts but will try and do some research on the subject, over the next couple of days.
Large worm cast
What I'd like to know is why they create them. I know that it improves the soil and give an indication that the soil is rich in nutrients. Why else would worms want to stay in any location where the land is contaminated. They would just have to move on to the next field etc.

No comments: