Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Frosty


Frost on a bark of tree

It has been a cold weekend. As I went down to the orchard the car thermometer said it was -2.5. I walked around the orchard and was looking specifically for rabbit tracks and ladybirds.
Ladybird on a dead weed
I didn't really see any fresh rabbit tracks. They are smarter than I and probably watching me thinking "what's that fella doing walking around in this cold weather, I've got a fur coat on and I'm not going out in the cold".
Frosty Grass Crispy not Crunchy
Buds covered in frost
However I did spot over 10 ladybirds. Which is good news, I'm not sure what ladybirds eat this time of the year but I'm hoping they will survive the cold and prosper in the spring, then will eat any aphids that are around in spring.

Trunk of a tree cherry tree
No point disturbing the bees this weekend and one shouldn't even bother going into a hive if the temperature is below 5 degrees. They should be huddled together keeping warm and the bees should still have enough food for a couple more months, they must forage for themselves in the spring which should mean the trees get pollinated. Thankfully I checked on them last week and topped up the fondant, they were fine.

Trunk of tree covered in frost
Walking around on a frosty morning is something I would recommend its crispy not crunchy like with fresh snow. This week it was bitterly cold and lovely and quiet, I could hear birds singing and it wasn't windy, which makes it more bearable. It also changes so quick; so that as the sun comes up things start to change. colour's for one, the pale white disappears and true colours appear. If you look carefully the colours are generally darker as the soil branch or whatever has been touched by the frost is left a little damp or naturally moistured. The sun reflects the light well off the frost and as its rays reflect the light the rays slowly melts the frost away. If the frost is really good you can see the pretty shapes and angles like tiny crystals on the grass and branches and even on the buds. I have taken a couple of pictures of frost touched branches and even the grass which I hope you will like.

Branches and Buds covered in frost
I have planted a evergreen tree which was given to me it was a living Christmas tree. Evergreens are good for bees. Bees make propolis from them that's the stuff they use to clean the inside of the hive with and stick everything together, its also anti bacterial. The tree is probably a couple of years old and a welcomed new arrival. It took a while to get it planted as the ground was frozen, and it was definitely to small for the pot it came in. Now it has lots of room to spread and grow. I hope it thrives.








No comments: