Monday, January 2, 2012

A pleasant start to the new year


I checked on the trees today and all is well. I still need to put manure on a number of the trees, but its been a wet start to the new year and I didn't have the time or the courage to move the manure.

However I've noticed that the cherry trees have the largest buds followed by the apples then pears and finally the plums. It's also the order that the fruit ripens. The buds are growing and getting larger. Its pleasing to the eye and gives you something to monitor and watch as it grows and blossoms and then fruits. My patience and diligence should be rewarded with what I hope will be scrumptious fruit.

The picture is of a Cherry tree branch with lots of large buds.


I haven't been into any off the hives at the moment, the weather's been a little to cold. Though over the last couple of days and today I have noted bees coming out of the hives not in huge numbers but they are comming out. Even bees need the loo.

I have seen a number of ladybirds today on the trees which is also a nice sight, I want them to prosper so that can eat aphids early in the season.


The picture was of a ladybird on a tree but my phone camera didn't really do it justice.

Over the past month a number of branches on an old tree in the orchard have fallen. The tree itself must be over 100 years old and over the years many branches have fallen. I know that beatles and bugs will devoure the logs over time and part of me would like to see how it rots and then decomposes as it returns to the soil, whence it came.

No comments: