Sunday, January 31, 2010

Still wet and and Im helping the bees





Its been a quiet week, some parts of the orchard are still water logged, but its getting better. I have checked the bee hive, not for brood just for additional stores of food. I have also cleared the dead bees that were at the entrance and behind the mouse guard. The bees actually came out today which is a good sign, they also dropped very small amounts of bee feces much smaller than some of the bees at the Sutton park apiary.

The trees look the same and though we checked the trees I can not claim that the buds are getting bigger. I have seen some new holes in the ground which I think have been made by rabbits as next to the holes I can see rabbit feces. I can also see that mole hills are back and as far as I am concerned they are welcome. I have never seen a mole but I presume that they are nocturnal creatures, so may not for a while.

This is the first weekend that the whole family has been down this year, its was nice to have the company. I am this week looking at additional bee hives and thinking of putting down some willow trees and making a den for the kids. The new hives; lots of options wbc, national and a variety of raw materials.

The den for the kids may be from pollarded willow. Start on one and see how it goes, if the first one is successful then may put one or two around the place and they could be shelters for other animals and perhaps for sheep later. This may take a couple of years, so stay tuned.

No comments: