Monday, January 25, 2010

Buds, Buds, Bees and Acid




Its been a busy week. I have checked on the trees, lots and lots of buds getting bigger and bigger. Its nice to see, but its doesn't mean everything is rosy. I've got to wait and see how the buds are developing in a month or two and then see what the blossom is like.

Its been cold and some parts of the orchard are water logged, which is even more worrying. I have also noticed that some of the trees have lots of moss on them. I'm not sure if its a good or bad thing.

I have been to my monthly bee lecture. This month it was on food regulation, interesting, but not fascinating. I also checked on my own bees and have left some additional food for them hope they will be OK, its has been cold over the past couple of days, and I do want to check on them again. I did see a number of dead bees at the entrance of the hive. I checked with the Apiary manager at Sutton park and he reckons it should be fine and I should clear the dead bees.

On Sunday I attended a demonstration on how to apply oxalic acid to bees, as a method of reducing the number of Varroa mites. It was good I learn't alot, I also got some acid, not 100% certain I'm going to apply it though.

No comments: