Saturday, January 16, 2010

Snows Gone




Wondered around the orchard today, examined the trees and made sure that the trees haven't been damaged by the recent weather. The snow was at its peak 4-5 inches deep. It has now melted leaving lots of puddles and wet grass and in a couple of areas I will have large puddles upto to a 4 cms in depth of water and several meters wide.

One of the roads nearby was flooded and the guy who owns the stables near me has had his show jumping area completely flooded.

The trees seem to have a lot more moss on them and usual, which makes they pretty but I'm not sure if its doing any harm. A can see lots of buds on the trees which is good news. I can also see what I think is frost damage, I'm not sure. Will have to monitor.

A couple of trees seem to have had the bark loosened around certain twigs, I presume that they have absorbed more water than the others. It may be water related damage again I must wait and see.

I met a chap called Roy today who had lots of questions and has even offered to help me with certain bits.

The hustler mower has been paid for and I can get the company to deliver once I set a delivery date. I want them to keep the machine for a little longer. I won't be cutting the grass when its this wet.

I have found fungus on a couple of trees not sure how serious it is, but I will be sending pictures to Ryton gardens.

The Bee hive seems very wet still, I have made the bees some sugar fondant but have not put it into the Beehive yet. I still not not know when the Oxalic Aid course will be due to the weather.

No comments: