Saturday, May 9, 2009

Aphids and Caterpillars 2nd May



I have found caterpillars and aphids on a number of trees. I discovered them on Monday the 27. I wasn't prepared to find them. I didn't know what to do, even though only a few weeks ago I had read a journal on pests and diseases for organic apple growing.

I knew that organic chemicals were available and that I should remove the aphids asap as they suck out the sap. So I collected in them in the only thing I had to hand an old crisps wrapper.

I dumped them in a bin, and started trawling the internet wikipedia and various organic websites. I also joined Organic Gardening and have received my membership card etc now.

I have also purchased an organic spray for the aphids its called Vitax 2 in 1 and have sprayed on the 29th April on any trees that I found aphids. I sprayed again on 2nd May again only on trees that I found aphids.

I am not worried as much by caterpillars, I know I should be worried about moths espcially this time of the year.

I have also show some friends and family around the orchard.

No comments: