Sunday, April 26, 2009

All the trees have a straw bed


I have now put straw under every tree, at least 4 inches worth. As it rains and get warmer it will mulch down. It should decompose and add to the soil, it should also suppress weeds.

The gate has been fixed. Acquired new hinges, I found a manufacturer in Cradley Heath. The gate is easy to open and close now. I may have to move the post closer, which will be an effort as I will require help.

I have also spoken to a couple more people about sheep. A couple of farmers have ewes that may be suitable and would mean I do not need to buy them. I even have a lady with ponies that could graze the grass, but only when I am around.

The grass is getting longer and in some parts it is lush, getting it cut may be difficult. I have looked at buying a second hand ride on mower they are both expensive and I'm not sure if it would be a good investment. Why would some one what to get rid of a perfectly good working mower.

I have started to look at wild flower seeds, perhaps have lines of wide flowers between the tree rows. Its expensive but would be beneficial for the bees.

I have also been to the WBKA Sutton Coldfield Apiary and seen inside a hive. Fascinating I wasn't stung and I wasn't that scared, it was exhilarating and interesting. It does look like lots of people are getting into bee keeping.

Natural England have also made some announcements about Britain losing traditional orchards, which has been interesting and we shall see what comes of it. I am already registered with Natural England and have been in touch recently with a lady called Anita, she has sent me some information, which was nice of her.

No comments: