Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fencing, ants, mulch and blossom





Easter bank holiday so its been a busy weekend. My brother and I have been fixing some of the fencing, and we still have more to do next week. We had to give up as we have broken two hammers. We have been using the claw on hammers to remove old rusty nails, and then replace them with new screws. One of the hammers belongs to my dad and he must have owned it for a least 25 years the other was a hammer from Wilkinson, both have broken necks.

We then started work on the gate. The hinge was bent and we need to replace it. It took us a while to take it off and now I gave to find a replacement. This may take a while, I may have to go to a farm shop on the weekend and see if I can get one.

Lots more of the trees have larger buds ready to open and a couple have opened. I examined all the trees and I found ants and spiders crawling all over the trees. Not sure if its a good or bad thing.

My brother has also been adding leaf mulch to the soil. This is to stop the weeds that have been building up recently. We are going to need a lot more leaf mulch as we seem to be using lots and it just composts down into the ground, and encourage weeds.

I have spoken to a couple of the farmers in the fields nearby. I may be getting some help to get the grass cut and sheep may be on the way soon. Some of the farmers are using fertiliser on the fields, I will not be.

No comments: