Sunday, March 8, 2009

7th March 2009 Met Donna


Checked on the trees and bought my wife the kids and my parents along. My parents have been on holiday for a couple of weeks and they wanted to see how the orchard is progressing.

The trees are fine they are growing well, even my mum agrees she also feels that the damaged trees will be ok in the long term, I'm not so sure.

Met a lady called Donna in the next field. She was with her dog clearing up the paddock.

We had a conversation regarding the the orchard and she asked my questions and gave me ideas. She asked if I was going to keep the grass short, or if I was going to let it grow. Hay would be useful to her. She also asked about the bees. I told her I planned to trim the grass using a sit on lawn mower. She and others have recommended sheep. The bees are still a while off as I still have not started the practical course.

I want to get sheep in the orchard but need to protect the trees. I had discussed sheep with my family a while back. The plan is to get a couple of sheep perhaps 5 or so and protect the trees using solid wooden pallets and building a square fence around all the trees. Similar to the compost heap that I have made. However to do this I would need roughly 400 pallets. The plan is to enquire how much they will cost on Monday. The sheep would be easy to acquire as its lambing session at the moment.

I also need to order the final 20 + trees.

The picture is of a small yellow flower that I first saw last week and now the number of these flowers is growing rapidly. They are pretty and definitely a sign of spring.

No comments: