Monday, March 2, 2009

1st of March - Compost Leaf Mulch





Checked the trees, 3 had rabbit damage nothing serious. These three have now got additional protection. The extra protection does seem to be working.

I have also now taken most of the compost from my own garden to the orchard and the good compost has been spread around all the trees. I have rebuilt the compost holder that I had originally made with 6 wooden palettes with 4. I have uploaded a picture showing an empty compost heap and again later after we had dumped several bags of leaf mulch into it.

The large bird is back and with a friend or a mate. The two were soaring around the skies and they look neat. The birds are large, brown in colour with silver/white pattern underneath. They look great. I have uploaded a picture of the two flying around either playing or hunting perhaps even some mating ritual, as they seemed to be having fun, swooping and hovering. The picture is not great even with my full zoom on.

My daughter and brother have been helping me, and they spent some of the time feeding apples to the ponies and horses in the next field. My daughter is still afraid of the ponies and her excuse for not feeding them with her own hands was that she had hurt her finger in the last couple of days.

Lots of buds still no blossom, looking forward to it. I haven't water the trees yet, but the weather over the coming days is meant to be wet. Which should soak the ground for me.

Some of the compost that I had applied less that two weeks ago has be drawn into the soil, which is good news. The claying parts seems to get pretty dry when left on top.

Fiz was out and about and his usual barking loud self. Though I think he is getting more used to me being around.

Also I have intentional removed the rabbit guards on some of the trees that were ring barked, they have been annihilated by the rabbits. It shows the amount of damage that they can inflict on a young tree. Shocking.

No comments: