Saturday, November 9, 2013

BBKA Module 2 Exam taken today

I've been studying for the British Bee Keepers Association Module 2 exam. It be difficult to find the time to study and get the some of the assignments done. I have been part of my local study group meeting once a month to discuss various topics and putting ideas, facts and opinions, forward with all of us contributing, to complete work. Which we would then send to be assessed. To pass the module  we have to pass a exam. Which for me was held at the Lea Marston hotel, in Warwickshire. The results arrive in about 8 weeks.

I have to admit the study was enjoyable but hard. I had to learn facts about legal requirements for honey, as a product, packaging requirements, various bits on health and safety. 

Then the study on how bees make honey and how they gather the pollen and nectar, the types of plants and trees, at what time of the year, they collect resources to make honey. Learning about the various different types of honey, from floral, Ling and Honeydew.

How honey from abroad is different. How plants communicate to the insects, from the use of colors, aromas, and even honey guides.

Then subjects on how to process the honey and other products things like what temperature and for how long. Then the more social aspects of beekeeping like Honey shows and what they are for as well as what judges would look for when assessing. I also learned about making things like mead and candles, and methods of taking the venom out of the bees. 

All interesting stuff. A couple of days or no study and then onto the the next module. 

I still have all the study notes so if you want them let me know.

No comments: