Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Trees in Blossom


Damson in Bloom

The trees have started to blossom and its a couple of the new plum and some of the older damson trees that are now fully in bloom. Its nice to see the trees with blossom on, its even better to get your nose into the blossom and check out the scents, though not all blossom has a scent. I  have checked the trees and I have noted some new additional rabbit damage, I need to put up large guards around some of the trees. The trees that I protected originally with handmade rabbit guards seem a little small for the job. Those trees are in need for a little  further protection. Five of the rabbit guards had been removed and the bamboo sticks removed, it was close to the entrance and it looks like it may have been children from the livery nearby. I spoke to the kids dad when I saw him and I think he will talk with the kids and that should deter the kids from removing any more.
More Rabbit Damage
Lots of the trees look like they are about to blossom or the leaves have started to open and grow. I may spray an organic pest control, to keep the number of aphids down. I can see lots of ladybirds around but this decision will be made if I feel the aphids are winning.

I still haven't been able to put more manure around the trees and I not sure when I will be able too. I hope over the long weekend, coming up soon.

I didn't water the trees this week but we did have some rain and a little ground frost. We had a good down pouring yesterday, and may get some more over the coming days.

My son was down the orchard with me last weekend and he likes to hang off the fence and swing on it. This weekend he was holding on and went over the fence head first. When he went over I was worried, he might have broken a rib or something, but after a few minutes he was fine. I rushed over and got him to stand up straight way which in hindsight may have been a mistake. If he had hurt something more serious it may have made matters worse. After a couple of minutes he was running around and jumping so we was  fine. He was embraced by the incident and didn't want me to tell his sister.


The bees are and about, I haven't put out any supers yet. I found wax moth larvae in the wax and so am replacing both the wax and the frames. I have also burnt out the supers themselves to kill off anything that might have been around, that includes some viruses.

No comments: