Thursday, April 26, 2012

Start of a very wet week lots of blossom around mind


I checked on the bees at the orchard they have food but over the past few days its been pouring down with rain and im a little worried about them as the bees won't be able to get out and bring both pollen and nectar back to the hive. Its an important time of the year for bees so that they can build up the numbers for the summer. If it continues to to rain like it has over most of the UK, bees will go hungry, and some may starve. I will check on them over the weekend and if required I'll  feed them some sugar fondant. I still have some from the winter months and I will use that up first and if more is required then I will make some sugar syrurp.
Plum Blossom
 I checked on the trees, all well and I can see lots of rabbits around, but no noticable damage. I have seen loads of rabbit dropping around some of the smaller trees and I can see they are trying the knaw the bark, the new rabbir guard are working.
Cherry Blossom
Lots of blossom around most of my cherry trees are in blossom now as are some of the pear trees, the blossom on the plum trees are dwindling. The apple blossom has not started though the buds are getting fuller as you can see from the pictures, apple blossom is great, it smells lovely.
Apple Blossom
I have even started spreading more bovine manure around under the trees. I managed to get 18 trees done in less than 2 hrs which for me is good, though they were the trees nearest to the manure.

More Apple Blossom
One of my aunts came and visited the orchard with me this week and had some advice for me and was pleased with what I've done to date., she was a little surprised but pleasantly  surprised .

No comments: