Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blossom and Fungus around the Orchard



It was a very wet and cold Easter bank holiday. I checked on some of the bees not all, as it was raining and then checked on the trees. Lots of the trees are in bloom and look great.

This week it does seem to be the time where the pear trees are in blooming. Its nice seeing the different varieties in blossom. I have generally planted three of each variety and its easy to see the differences in the blossom from the flowers. This week I had three varieties of pear in bloom in a single line. One variety was much brighter and the blossom much whiter than the other varieties this was the  Durondeau variety of pear. I haven't had much success with some of the pear trees and I'm hoping that this year they will make an impact.
I have also found a number of very small caterpillars on some of the Quince trees they seem to being going after the buds and the leaves. The caterpillars are very small 3/5 mm in size so attracting small birds to nab they may be tricky.

I also found the remains of a rabbit and a bird so it looks like I am attracting some predators.
I also found a strange fungus on the ground it was only under one tree. Anyway took a couple of pictures, perhaps some can let me know what it is.

It was a nice weekend mind

No comments: