Monday, March 5, 2012

The buds are getting larger


Quince will be Blossoming soon
We had some good rain on Sunday morning, that's the first soaking the trees have had in a couple of weeks. The rain was really welcome. Then last night the temperature dropped to 3C which may have killed off a couple of bugs, but it should really be colder and wetter this time of year. I and lots of other fruit growers are probably hoping for rain.
Pear Buds 
Checked on the trees on Saturday and they all seem fine, no new damage, though I can see hoof prints in some parts of the orchard. No one has told me that any of the horses has managed to get in, but didn't see many people around.
Almond Buds
The bees have started to bring in a yellow pollen probably, willow or something similar but I can't be certain. This is good I still haven't been into the hives just watched the entrances as they come and go. Some of the hives really are a hive of activity while one has been relatively quiet.

The one that’s quiet is the one I topped up with a 12 Kilo block of sugar fondant a couple of weeks ago so they don't really need to go out searching for food yet. I will suit up for the first time this coming weekend if the weather is permitting.

I have ordered my Tickets for this year’s Bee keepers Spring Convention and have looked at some of the lectures on the 20th; I'm going to attend some with my wife.

Looks like the ladybirds have gathered for a  conference 
My daughter managed to fine about 8 ladybirds huddled together over the weekend. Let’s hope they survive and can consume loads of aphids when they start appearing, it looks like its going to be a good year for both species.

The buds are getting larger and I think the Almond trees may burst into flower soon although the quince still look a likely contender.

I went to visit the diary farmer and have put an order in for more manure. It should be with me fairly soon.

No comments: