Monday, February 27, 2012

Finished rebuilding the withy ring again


Withy Ring 

I have finished rebuilding the withy ring again, with the help of my wife and kids this weekend, even my three year old son was down and wanted to help dig. Many hands make light work and we got holes dugs, piled in the manure, planted the willow. All done in  less than an 1 hr. All good, and they're well protected, from rabbits this time anyway. We still have at least one from the original circle. Thirteen in a nice circle and I may put in more over the next couple of years, let see. The picture was taken from a mobile phone its not the best.

The reports in the news have been about how this year looks likes its going to be a very dry year and so far it seems to be true. I can't remember a February this warm. The trees are doing well and it looks like the Quince trees may be the first to go into blossom this year. The buds are already showing a hint of yellow. However lets wait and see in a couple of weeks.

Small amounts of rabbit damage on a couple of low branches. but generally all well. I may get some more manure from the diary farmer to put around the trees again as the manure has already been sucked down and decomposed into the soil. The manure contains lots of straw and that should retain water, with some additional leaves acting as a mulch. Which may be useful if its going to be a dry year. I have to start planning a head, in case it gets very dry later in the year. I have access to a bore hole and I should be able to give each tree some water probably in the evenings, later in the year. I may have to call in help from friends and family.
Two Bumblebees found in this week
The bees are happy and are flying in and out of the hives and I have see a number of bumblebees around they must be hungry as two managed to get into my kids bag  which contained apples that they like to feed the horses, in the paddock nearby. This is worrying as its only February and I won't expect them out and about this time of year. They must be finding it hard to locate pollen and food for themselves.

Damson Merry Weather King Buds 
I visited Sandwell Valley farm and park over the weekend with the kids. The farm have a great walled garden with loads of fruit trees and I noted that the Damson Merry Weather King looks like it may go into bloom fairly soon.

No comments: