Monday, October 17, 2011

Stowe Apple Day


The Midshire Orchard Group had an Apple day over the weekend at the National Trust Gardens in Stowe.


It was a great success, the weather was lovely and they had activities for children to do and as people came to visit the landscape gardens they had to walk past some of the Apple day celebrations, which enticed them in. I would say though some people had come specifically for the Apple day.

People were offered apple juice to try 50p a cup or a taster for free and various apple tree varieties were on sale with varying root stocks as well as cakes and preserves and bottles of juice for sale.

My daughter made a bird feeder, which was a pine cone wrapped in lard and then plunged into various seeds and dried fruit. She also entered the longest peel contest and managed to walk away with three apples and the one she had peeled, which were quickly consumed by me and the kids.

They also had a talk after 3pm which I couldn't stick around for, I'm sure it would have been nice.

They had the usual apple identification. I did see lots of people using the service which was nice to see.


Lots of apples on display mind which was great.

I only wish I could have tried them all and compared them and got other peoples thoughts on them, to see if I could find ones that we could plant in the orchard at some point in the future.

No comments: