Monday, March 28, 2011

Blossom is spreading

I visited the Orchard on Saturday, all was well, the Almond trees have lots more blossom. I wanted to check on the bees but it was too cold. The temperature was 8.5c, and very windy, it felt cold with the dull clouds. The blossom did make it worth it. We didn't have any rain though.

The apple blossom on some trees looks set to burst open. That will be great, its something I am looking forward too. I love the smell. I have checked the bees in the garden etc and they are very active, just walking past the hives; I can smell wax being made. I have taken all the excess food off the hives and they all have an empty super so that they can start making honey, and expand the colonies.

I need to take a ladder to the orchard, to make some adjustment to the very tall trees. I need to ensure that they are straight, I also need to use some strings and hooks to alter the stance of the branches. Its not lots to do, but it needs got to be done.

I have had some minor damage to the bark of a couple of trees, all seems fine, will have to wait and see.

I bought a new book on honey recent, I like it, just need more time to read it.

No comments: