Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Blossom here in full effect

Cherry Blossom
Lots of Cherry Blossom
Checked on the bees and wondered around the orchard, the blossom is out and in full effect, some rabbit damage but spring is here. Wondering around its obvious that the whole place is growing and full of energy. The grass is getting longer and the trees are getting taller.

Cherry blossom is out, as is the plum. The pear is starting to blossom and we are still a couple of weeks away from the apple coming into blossom.

As soon as I arrived I could see loads of rabbits out and about. Plenty of bees also whizzing around.
Me checking on the bees today
 I check on the bees and I found a sealed queen cell in the one of the hives, I think I may have lost a prime swarm, but lets see. The bees in the hive was very gentle, lots of brood and eggs I didn't see a queen, and if they have swarmed it would have been in the last 24 hours.

The 1st hive was very aggressive and I didn't spend much time going through that hive. They must have stung me a 20 or so times. I used a new bee jacket and 2 of the ladies managed to get in  a crawl up my body.

I have seen that much of the pollen from the fruit trees has been removed, I can only suspect that the pollen has been consumed by the bees in my hives. 1 point of disappointment one of the quince trees has some damage. Not sure its frost damage or an insect that caused it. Will have to monitor it.
 
Plum Blossom
I recently collected my certificates from the BBKA module exams 1-2. I also sat the Module 5 exam. Not sure how I have done not as great as previous exams. In the previous ones I have only just managed to pass. I have started to study for module 3. The exam is in November so I have some to get up to speed.

No comments: