Saturday, January 4, 2014

Wet weather brings flooding

Large Tree at sunset the tree is reflecting the sun's glow
Firstly Happy New Year all

Circle of coppiced willow in flood area
The past couple of weeks, since before Christmas have been very wet with the UK soaked from torrential rain. The orchard is pretty much in the center of England and like the rest of the country has been battered by heavy rain and winds. The parts of the orchards that have been flooded previously are flooded again the water is up to my shins in the worst affected area. 

I have no fruit trees in that part of the orchard instead  coppiced willow,  which may benefit from the excess water. More willow will be planted  down in a couple of weeks. The soil itself is water logged, with puddles and slippy mud all around. The stream next to the orchard is still about 2 feet from overflowing so i'm not concerned about that.
I still haven't put bovine manure under the final 3 rows of trees, but I will have to repair or replace the trolley, and wait for the weather to improve.
Entrance now accessible
Last week I noticed that the path entrance which previously had been blocked by tarmac had been cleared, and a path made to the gate. I cleared the weeds and its looking better. 



I'm not sure who cleared the tarmac  but many thanks. I have been trying for years with a large sledge hammer at the end of the day, mainly in the summer months to hack it down. It will mean walkers and others can wonder through to the orchard. They can enjoy the place probably as much as I do.

Hives in the orchard
The bees are fine and though I haven't been into the hives, they are still standing and they should contain enough food for a least a month hopefully by then I can get in and check on them. The bees had lots of food when I last checked I had previously moved  sugar fondant  so that it was directly over them.

This weekend I was down later  in the day than normal and I was around for the sunset. Which was nice as I hope some of the pictures show.

View from the orchard at Sunset



The horse trail now just a muddy path
The willow circle flooded

No comments: