Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cutting down brambles and looking out for beneficial insects.

Two ladybirds on an apple
Not many apples left in the orchard, but the ones that are remaining seem to be attracting lots of wildlife. I had some some apples low to the ground and they seem to have been gnawed by rabbits.The place is great even though it is getting colder the grass is still growing. The bees are out about when its warm, for example on Tuesday 15th October the bees were in and out. They even cleared the hive off some dead bees.Its getting cold at night and I think they are beginning to cluster. I do still have some apples and pears on the trees. Most of the pear are quite high up and i'll need a ladder to get to them.

Ladybird in an apple with a dimple
Over the last year I had let some of the brambles grow, not really intentionally, but I guess partially through  my own laziness. The picture below shows what the drive up to the orchard looked like before I started to remove the brambles. It was at least 2 meters thick in some places. It was full of brambles and nettles.
Brambles reaching on to the drive
I started to clear it down by finding the root of the bramble cutting it and then pulling it out, it was hard work arms and legs scratched nothing massive. It was very satisfying work mind. Some of the brambles were longer than 2 meters, some were thicker than my thumb.
Brambles removed, by hand
Below is the pile of the brambles that I cut down. I will burn them in a couple of weeks, nearer to bonfire night, that weekend.The plan is to is to have a family bonfire that weekend in the orchard. Burn the brambles and cook a couple of hot potatoes in the fire. I've never done that before, I hope the kids enjoy it.
The pile of brambles
I also cut back some of the hawthorn tree that was close to the entrance of the orchard. This should allow the farmer to deliver the bovine manure. I hope he delivers it soon.

No comments: