Wednesday, October 2, 2013

2nd dose of Api guard


Hemish in bee suit
 My son and I checked on the Bees today and applied the second and final dose of Api Guard.

Bees still taking fondant down into the brood box
It started so well, both of us suited up and then I realized, I only had 1 pair of gloves I gave them to him and checked on the bees, he is only 5. I didn't really want to put my bare hands in the hive this time of year. In the spring on summer I find that the bees are more tranquil and don't sting as much. I'm happy then to put my hands in into the hive. This time of the year, when they have stored all the food for the winter months they can be more temperamental. Two of the hives were fine, I believe they would have let me put my hands into the hive and apply the second dose of apiguard with ease. The third can be more aggressive and would sting given half the chance. If I'm not careful and upset them they will follow me around the orchard until they are bored.

Hemish talking to a horse
Anyway my son was happy after having seen inside the hives and I got him away from the hives, after visiting the horses and collecting more apples, and trying a couple of plums I went back with the gloves and applied the api guard.

More fruit to pick
The grass is growing again and will need a further cut. Not sure when. Still no sign of manure wither bovine or horse. Once it arrives then I need to get it under trees before the weather turn and becomes more unsettled.

No comments: