Monday, August 12, 2013

Brogdale August 2013

Apple orchards planted about 4 years ago
This week I was in Kent I visited the National Fruit Collection at Brogdale farm. I had a guided tour with a chap called Paul Yashpon. We wondered around the Pear collection the Apples orchards and then onto the plum and cherry orchards.

Me and Paul
We had a fun time and a good conversation wondering around the orchards trying different fruit and talking about Brogdale and orchards different techniques of doing things and beekeeping. We had slices of pear apples and cherries. They still have cherries in Brogdale where as most of mine have finished, bar the morello variety. We also talking about the weather and how the fruit this season is behind schedule. My kids were well behaved but a little bored by the end of it. I could have stayed longer, done more wandering and talking. It was an nice afternoon for me.

Paul also has an orchard in Yorkshire and was a bee keeper until recently, and works as a volunteer at Brogdale a couple of times a year.

No comments: