Saturday, September 29, 2012

Frogs, Lichen and bees with loads of pollen


The trees are fine, some have started to change colour and the leaves are beginning to wilt. The leaves themselves on some varieties of cherry trees have started to turn a nice orange/red.

The grass is way too long and hasn’t been cut and the hay not been collected. I reckon that the farmer is going to let me down and not get it done.  On the positive mind the grass will rot down and become a green fertiliser and as most of the tall stuff still has seeds it may be a promising year, next year.   With so much grass rotting down it maybe that in some places the ground will be rather muddy, next year if we have loads of rain. When that amount of grass falls down it blocks the light and everything beneath it dies down. I am hoping that some of the clover will great through and flourish.
The bees are doing well they seem to have found a decent pollen source and are bringing in loads of the stuff. The pollen is a nice bright yellow. I didn't actually go into the hives, so I'm not sure how much of the sugar fondant they have taken down. My guess with the amount of pollen they are bring in the queens are still laying and are still filling the comb with honey for the winter period.
 
I had a slow wonder around the orchard and a mooch to see what’s happening and examine the seasonal changes. I found some pears still in the trees and a rather handsome frog with a circular ring or crown  on his back in the area that’s rather damp. The willow ring is doing really well on all the pollarded willow I planted earlier this year.  I have more that a meter’s growth and the branches can be stretched out so that they touch one another. I should have a reasonable withy ring next year but will probably plant more.
I also looked at different types of lichen on the trees. The lichen is thriving. I’m not sure what types of Lichen I have in and around the orchard but as some is yellow in colour It means that the soil is high in nitrogen. I can also see lots or more pale lichen, which is again a good sign. I really like the pictures of the lichen.

No comments: