Monday, July 30, 2012

Effects of the rain now materialising


I checked on the trees over the weekend and, the effects of the recent rain are beginning to materialise. It tools like the Cherry trees have been affected the most dramatically. I have 3 trees who's leaves have turned brown in less than a week and the leaves have started to dry up and are crumbly.

I can't be 100% certain it was the rain that caused the damaged however trees are in areas where the water logging was the heaviest. If I replant trees in those spots I may have to build up a mound and plant the trees on the mound.

Its terrible news for me personally, but I'm hoping that perhaps the trees will recover. In reality I think one may be beyond hope at this point and the other two well only time will tell.

The ground at the orchard is now dry and all the water has either filtered its way down or evaporated. The grass is long and lush, plenty more butterfly's and moths as well as lots of the insects all over the place. As the grass is long some of the insects have been able to build good habitats and are multiplying. I was bitten by a number of beetles this week. Nothing serious of course just minor blood suckers looking for food.

No comments: