Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A little bad news


Orchard with paths around trees, lots of ground floor flowers

last week I mention that my son had never been stung by a bee, well that changed on Monday. We were in the orchard and I had already checked the bees and he was playing with his sister. He went off with an apple to feed the horses in the field next to us. He was stung in the head, I had removed the sting and given him an antihistamine within minutes he had no swelling, though he was in pain for a while. He cried for ages and might not be down the orchard or near the bees for  a while. He's only three and I hope in a week or so he will have forgotten the whole experience. I may even let him use a child bee suit we have to come and check the bees with me so that his confidence around bees is restored.
Orchard with paths
I walked around the orchard  and have seen a couple of new rabbit holes in the tall grasses and some rabbit damaged to some of the trees. I have also put up new stakes around some of the trees, as they have grown and it seems obvious that they need the extra support. Most of these trees seem to be plum trees I have reduced the number of fruit on these trees so that they aren't weighed down, especially at the top of the trees.

The bees themselves have produced at lease 1 supper of honey each. Some are now working on the second supper. I may extract sooner than later, but lets wait and see.

The grass is growing pretty quickly and may need a cut around the paths again soon.
Bird house on the floor
Now the really bad news.

A couple of weeks ago I informed you that I had moved a Bumble bee  family that had decided to set up home in a bird box at a friends house to the orchard. Well some vandal has gone and knocked it down, Its obvious that it has fallen down.  I hope whoever it was got stung. The bees are fine and are still coming in and out of the hive. However I can't do much for them at present, as moving them could only be done at night and I only need to move them a couple of feet so that they are back in the tree.
Honey Bee leaving the Bumble bees home
The bees may not realised that the Hive has moved and some may not return to the bird house. Also I have noted other bee's including honey bees have tried to get into bumble bee hive. I presume in search of food. See the pictures.

Bumble Bee coming out of the bird house

No comments: