Thursday, May 10, 2012

Long weekend and very little happening


After a another wet week, I check on the trees, the bees and put some manure under some trees.

The bees are fine, they have food not huge amounts but enough the sustain them will have to check again next week and the numbers of bees are growing. I went into the hive and was surprised by the number of bees in both the hives at the orchard, they have also started making new comb. They are flourishing and with the weather improving somewhat they should be able to go out and collect food and pollen.

I may add a third hive to the orchard in a couple of weeks shall see.

One of my friends has found a Bumble bee nest in a small bird box and asked me for advice. I have never has to deal with bumble bees that are causing a nuisance before. The bird box is in a garden where young children play and the parents are a little worried, that kids my get stung. I checked with a more experienced bee keeper Bernard Diaper and he suggested that I identify the type of bee and then decide if I still want to move them. After some investigation they look like Bombus Pratorum to me. when you approach the box they come out and seem a little aggressive and are small bumble bees with yellow/orange markings. They do seem a little aggressive when you get close to the hive

The advice was if they are causing a nuisance move them to somewhere where they won't be a nuisance. My plan is to move them this weekend and I may take them down to the orchard so that they don't disturb anyone, or to a large park near to where I live.

After the torrential  downpour last  week I have put more manure down especially around trees that were shaken excessively, some of the trunks were pushed slightly out of place, so I have placed more manure around and pushed the tree trunks back into place.

More rain is forecast and so I have my fingers crossed that the trees won't be negatively affected. So far though its been ok, only some minor issues that can be overcome.

The grass is growing very quickly which makes wheeling manure around the orchard very difficult, it should help me build some muscles. I may actually cut some paths to help in getting the manure around.

No comments: