Saturday, May 26, 2012

First barbecue of the year in the orchard



On Saturday my brother and I cut the grass, we have only cut paths around the trees and left most of the grass uncut as usual. This allows us to get around the trees and check on them and gives the bees and butterfly's as well as rabbits and other animals a nice habitat. The floor of the orchard is full of flowers, perhaps not as diverse as could be but it does look nice. I have a plan to improve that, and hope that in a couple of years the orchard floor will be a lot more diverse.

Once the grass was cut  my wife arrived with a barbeque and most of the immediate family came round as well as the kids to enjoyed a nice meal and a little cider before we heading home and I went to move the bee hives.

I examined the bumble bees that were moved to the orchard a week ago and they seem to be doing fine. I can see them coming in and out and I can see young bee chasing each other, and they also seem friendly than they were a while ago. All in all a nice Saturday afternoon.

No comments: