Monday, August 8, 2011

Extracting honey again this year.

I checked on the trees but was in a hurry so no time to linger. I had to get the extracting done. So it was a case of suit up and start removing the suppers. I collected all the suppers and then rushed home to get the extracting under way.

I had borrowed a larger extractor from a friend and wanted to get the extracting done this weekend. My friends extractor holds 9 frames, which makes the job faster and even the spinning was much easier than I had expected; previously I had used a much older device that belongs to my local association. I managed to get the extracting done and even some of the bottling done by Saturday evening but finished it on Sunday.

I have extracted close to 20 litres of honey and have bought some much larger jars to do the bottling. I have also have a couple of jars of honey with the comb as it seems people like it like that. To me it looks great.

Will I sell much I don't know. I hate selling it but my wife is more practical than me and I know I need to sell some just to meet the costs incurred running hives. This year I have sold enough to pay for the winter feeding and have ordered enough fondant that should last all winter and if more is require I will supply Sugar syrup.

No comments: