Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Peaches had been picked

I picked some of the peaches over the weekend. I haven’t tried them yet but plan to this evening. They look lovely, though they are slightly smaller than the conventional ones from a supermarket.

I have also cleared a number of trees of weeds and checked on the bees. The trees seem fine, no new rabbit damage though I have seen a small number of branches damaged probably by birds. It’s not serious and I’m not overly concerned about it.

The bees are fine and the supers are almost full. I may need to get the extractor ordered soon, so that I can start feeding and applying the varroa treatment.I met a local farmer I say local he has cows in a field across the road from me and he travels 20 miles to check on them. The cows are all young and are not producing milk yet. His name is Pat Sultan and I talked to him about manure and my need to get some on the orchard. He would like to supply me but as it would mean moving the stuff 20 miles it would be difficult. He did give me the details of another local farmer that may be able to help me. The other farmer is called Stuart Wilson. I met Stuart on Sunday unannounced visit to his farm house for a quick chat.

He is willing to supply me with manure and I will see him in a couple of weeks to get a couple of lorry loads delivered. I’m not sure how much I need but my plan is that each tree gets one wheelbarrow load at least, over the winter period.

Thats good news.

I also hear my picture is in a magazine this month, Living Woods. I haven’t managed to get a copy yet as it’s not something that my local shopkeeper has much demand for.

No comments: