Thursday, May 12, 2011

I'm missing 2 queens and now have no eggs

I checked on the Trees and the Bees last night. The trees have had lots of caterpillar damage I can see lots of fruit coming up. However as I haven't sprayed the organic pesticide this year, the pests have done more damage. I will be spraying the organic spray again next year. I had left it to the birds and other insects, but they haven't been as effective as I had hoped.

Also we have had rain now and a good couple of inches. I can see that some of the blossom had dried out, which probably means lets fruit. Its not good. Then its not the end of the world, if this were a commercial venture it would be a disaster. I can at least put it down to a some experience gained. Then again, if we get lots of rain soon it may be ok, in truth I'm not sure.

I checked the bee hives and I can see that the new queens have emerged, but still no eggs, in the frames. It can take a couple of weeks so I hoping that the queens have been mated and are getting ready to start laying. The sooner the better. I have honey at least 1 super full and may take it away next week, as much of it is from the rape seed.

This week its not good news but the tide can so quickly change.

No comments: