Monday, January 31, 2011

Started the Pruning

I started pruning the trees on the 30th January. Spent about 4hrs cutting back branches that are rubbing or are heading back into the tree. Its still early days and and as long as air can get in and around then its fine.

Any branch that looks weak or diseased had also been removed. All in all a productive weekend.

I have seen lots of buds some are much larger than others and I am comparing them against varieties. Its interesting stuff and I hope that the blossom this year is even better than last.

I have found lots more ladybirds and other bugs, as the picture show. I still haven't been in to see the bees but its still to cold to go into the hives.
I also spotted and talked to a couple of ramblers this weekend, I think they were impressed with the project.

No comments: