Monday, January 17, 2011

Stakes removed

I have removed a number of stakes from some of the trees. When examining the trees the growth and wind has mean that some of the branches or trunks have rubbed against the stakes. This is not good. This should give the trees more room to grow now.

Hemish came with me and sat in the pushchair as I examined the trees and he stared and talked to the horses in the next field. He had fun, munching crisps etc. We later went to the local farm shop and he was fascinated by the cows and sheep in the fields and barns.

The ground is very wet, and in some cases its boggy. It is the middle of winter and in recent weeks we have had lots of rain so nothing to worry about. I must admit now with the new trees in place the whole orchard looks and feels different.

I should start the winter pruning and will next week. Some branches will need to be removed. It might have to be done on the Sunday as that way Leena can look after the kids, it all depends on the weather.

The bee hive has not suffered further damages. This is good news. This coming Thursday its the monthly Bee lecture I am looking forward to it, in part so I can talk to others about the bees etc. Its still to cold to go inside the fives, though it has started to warm up.

No comments: