Monday, September 6, 2010

Plum Crumble and Wasps

We still have lots of plums ripening at the orchard. I have collected several kilos worth and given some away and made a number of Plum crumble's which have gone down a hit with the family. I'm using a recipe by Valentine Warner. Top dish, and the crumble itself was fantastic.

One of the bee hives has had a large number of wasps trying to attack the bees to rob the honey and larvae. Wasps I have read and been taught will steal food and attack kill and eat bees, especially the babies. They can clear out a hive within days so I am keeping an eye on it, and have been stamping on wasps around the hive in the mornings. On one occasion I stamped out 8 wasps within the seconds.

Feeding bees is underway and I have bought 30 kgs of sugars and will be giving it to the bees within the next couple of days/weeks. I need to get the grass cut at the orchard and am waiting until my brother is free to give me a hand.

No comments: