Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Microscope Course

This week I attended a course on Bee Microscopy. I used various microscopes; dissection and compound microscopes. I used the dissection one to dissect a bee and examine it for bee illnesses like Acarine and using the same microscope I would be able to see Varroa.

Then I used a compound microscope to look at other bee illnesses like nosema. The day was a success. I found it interesting and difficult. Need more practice though.

I then looked at identifying pollen both on its own and in honey. I have been given a number of chemicals to help me further my studies on my own. I already have a basic compound microscope and am looking to get a dissection microscope. It will be useful not just for the bees but on the orchard as a whole.

No comments: