Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Me and my brother, getting the work done

Me and my brother have been doing what seems like routine work now. We have finished adding mushroom compost to all the fruit trees and to some of the nut trees.

We have collected wheel barrows of manure from the fields around us then mixed it with leaves and bits of wood and straw, and even garden and kitchen waste to turn into compost.
We are going to have to get more wooden palettes as we are building up a very large compost heap now, which is great.
The trees are doing well and I think the compost has helped, we are seeing leaves on some trees and all the trees have buds many of which look ready to burst open.

The bees are fine, they are wondering in and out, I found a number of dead bees and small bundles of pollen that seem to have fallen outside the hive. I have removed the mouse guard, is this a mistake? I have also raised the hive a couple more inches again.Lots of other types of bees and ladybirds around, as are spiders. I even managed to see a mouse, and with the help of my brother was able to get a couple of pictures. Made me wonder if I should have left the mouse guard in place on the bee hive.
I also have small weeds coming up around the base of trees, so am pulling them out. I can see lots of mushrooms scattered around. Saturday was so hot that some of the mushrooms dried out.
Next weekend is the Bee Keepers Spring Convention, and also where the bee keepers portraits go on display. I'm looking forward to it. The plan is to attend some of the lectures and visit the sales people, and buy 2 new hives.
We also visited Ryton gardens again for a look around the orchard, the bees hives and a spot of lunch. The kids had fun. My wife and I pick up some additional ideas. I have to renew my membership later this month.

No comments: