Thursday, August 20, 2009

What a Disaster


I checked on the trees last week and found that more had been nibbled by horses. I have informed the farmer and he, and his jockey have remove the horses. I have not check exactly how many trees have been damaged but most seem to have at least some minor damage.

I can't blame the horses it my fault and again another mistake has been made. I will have to put it down to learning, this one was due to me not wanting to buy a large ride on mower. I guess I will have to now. I still have some large portions of the orchard with long grass.

Much of the grass has been eaten or trampled by the horses; so I can't complain. It has rained heavily for a couple of days and this has also left muddy tracks where the horses seem to have a preference for walking on.

I have checked the bees etc, and they are doing fine. I have seen a number of wasps trying to get again. The bee group are suggesting blocking up the holes with masking tape, sticks and even grass. They have even suggestion making the enterance small enough for just one bee to get in and out at a time. similar to how they woould in the natural environment.

No comments: