Saturday, December 13, 2008

13th December 2008

Went to examine the trees that have been planted. We have had a couple of trees damaged by rabbits. I had put up guards but they have managed to get to the tops of the guards and they have nibbled both the branches and the trunks. A couple may have been damaged and will have to be replaced. I am going back in the morning to put up larger guards.

I think that the apples trees are the worst effected. However I didn't take a pad and paper and was not able to make notes.

This will have to be put down to experience and I will learn from it. Some of the trees are water logged.

Some of the land has become water logged, in fact so has must of the Austrey village it was very scary driving through today.

We have also visited a garden centre to look at willow trees and have discovered that it is best to plant them in March. Once the water has resided.

I also called Andy from the orchard group and and told him about the issues. His advice was to build a mount around the trees. That may work. And the rabbits ensure the guards are up correctly.

No comments: