Sunday, September 6, 2015

Update report

Line of Apple Trees
Cobnuts
Its been a while since I have done an update. However the orchard doesn't stop. It continues and the cycle of life goes on.

Its been a very successful year in the orchard. I still hear hundreds of grasshoppers, and see loads of moths and butterfly's, that's this week the 1st week of September. Fruit wise we have had a bumper crop, we have had cherries they are all gone, we still have plums and apples and pears. The cobnuts are plentiful and we have had some almonds.

Almonds
I haven't had a very successful year at bee keeping. I lost my weakest colony to wasps a couple of weeks ago. That was very disappointing. I was away for a weekend and over that 2 week period I wasn't able to carry out my weekly checks and lost the colony. Upon my return I found the hive contained no bees but hundreds of  wasps, that was scary. I have had problems with queens this year getting them mated and had a drone layer.

The wasps I see this week have started suck up the sugars from decaying fruit.

Apple tree with Fruit


No comments: