Saturday, February 1, 2014

Buds and flooding

Apple tree in need of pruning
I need to start pruning the apple trees but the weather has just been so poor and wet. I wouldn't mind a couple of days of very cold weather as it would kill of the nasties, but it just wet and getting wetter and more slushy and muddy.

You can't even walk through the orchard now without wellies.
Qunice Buds
The orchard is still very wet, its been raining now for a month, it feels longer. I'm worried that the roots will be affected and that the roots won't be able to breath as they should, and trees need and roots do need to breath.

I'm not the only orchardist that must be feeling like this in Britain today, but it feels like we can do nothing but wait and see what the weather brings. I look at the trees and can can see that the buds are getting bigger.
Buds on a Qunice tree
Willow doing well
The willow trees are doing really well, they seem to strive in this wet weather,  but i'm not sure for how long. The plan was also to get more in via some coppicing, but that just isn't happening.

Rabbit hole full of water
The colors in this weather is is very vibrant and actually pleasing to the eye. Lots of yellows, orange and bright greens. That's one reason I like willow this time of year. The buds on the willow are also growing. I reckon that I could plant the new coppiced willow into the ground in this weather, but its just getting down in the water that is deterring me.

The wet weather is also have a damaging effect on the wildlife. Some of the rabbit holes and mouse holes have been flooded. Rabbits are also beginning to gnaw at more of the trees. They are getting desperate for food etc. It must be the same for ground dwelling birds.

No comments: