Friday, September 6, 2013

Still gathering fruit and have cut the grass.

The weather over the past couple of days has been nice and warm, however looking forward its going to be wet, so I managed to borrow my brother's transit van and have cut about 90 % of the grass. It took 6 hours and my pedometer says I has walked 21 Kilometers. The last 10 % I will leave and can see lots of insects have made the orchard their home. This will give them shelter.
Orchard after having cut the grass

The grass is looking lovely, now. 

Over the past couple of weeks, I have had a young girl and her friends practicing horse jumping in the orchard. The girl was at the European championships recently and needed to practice on grass. 

She did well and looks forward to competing again in Europe.

The later crops of plums in the orchard are coming into bloom at present. Mainly the green gages I have found that a number of the plums have small holes and when you open them up you can find a small maggot. Not all the plums are infected, but its not good. I may have to harvest some of the plums early and let them ripen at home. I will leave the infected ones on the trees. The wasps are also enjoying the plums.

This morning after I had cut the grass the weather turned and we have a severe down pour, good thing I got the grass cut. Still waiting on the delivery of manure.

No comments: