Monday, June 24, 2013

Scary creatures in a tree

Buttercups chest height in a young apple tree
The week has been a little mixed. The weather has been warm with plenty of showers. The bees are doing well and I have suppers of honey that need to be extracted. In fact I need to move one of the swarms back to the orchard to take it place as my third hive. The grass is doing very well and is huge, some of the common butter cups are up to my chest. 

The orchard in terms of fruit is very very positive. I reckon some of the cherries will be ready to pick the coming weekend. The other pears are growing but not beautiful, but better than previous years. The plums are small but lots of them, they are normally a very good crop. The apples, which normally get nicked in the six weeks holiday are doing well. I'm hoping that this will continue, but lets see. I don't want to jinx it but it does look good. Still need to get the grass cut again. Hoping for good weather.  



Insects in the holes of a dead cherry tree
On a more interesting note I took a picture of a cherry tree that has died over the winter. Its now full of holes and if you zoom in on the small holes you can actual see small creatures in the holes. They look scary. 


You should be able to double click on the image and zoom in closer to see the insects.


No comments: