Sunday, January 27, 2013

Snow and I have started the pruning

Grass emerging from under the snow

I haven't updated the blog in a couple of weeks as its snowed here and not much has been happening. The snow was about 6/8 inches in depth. It made walking around a little difficult so I didn't go around the orchard last week.

I went around the orchard with my dad this week. My dad kinda stands around the gate, the snow makes walking around with his knees difficult.

This week as the snow has started to melt and as I write this most of the snow has melted and the ground is very wet. I did a little pruning, just branches that were rubbing against each other. I can see that no one has been through the gate its been far to cold and the snow to deep for most people to venture around. However I found fresh quad bike tracks. I can seen the kids have been have riding through the orchard again. They have been coming into the orchard via a hole in the fence. Which lets them ride into and out of the orchard. I will get the fencing  mended to ensure that they don't come in again.

More Quad bike tracks
Now that the snow is melting and the grass is visible, it seems more lush and fresh to my eyes. In face it seems to me to have undergone a revitalising processing under the snow.

Then today I visited the Garden Organic Potato day. I listened to a couple on talks one on cooking potatoes and beetroot and the other on alternative food crops by James Wong, the guy who made a TV series called Grow your own drugs. It was interesting. I will do a little more investigating and then perhaps have and entry in the blog on his talk.

James Wong

No comments: