Monday, December 10, 2012

So cold my lips are cracking


Walking around the orchard this week was interesting. It was cold no frost but a chilly breeze blows and the sun is shining. Its bitterly cold and my lips are cracking.

I can see horses have been in the orchard again. I will have to close the gap in the fence. I have stated previously I don't mine horses in the orchard as long as they only eat the grass I don't want then nibbling the trees. The statement still holds true, they have still only eaten the grass and have left me small piles of manure all over the orchard floor, as thanks.

I now only have two leaves on the trees, they are both on the almond trees the rest have fallen off and most have been consumed and pulled down into the soil by worms. Some will have blown away, or are trapped in fallen grass. The orchard floor is still damp, muddy squidgy and the ground remains very saturated. The part of the orchard that was flooded a couple of weeks ago is still very water logged. The water doesn't seem to be doing much and hasn't reseeded.

A couple more trees have been gnawed by rabbits and I have secured and made the rabbit guards larger. The trees had all got some level of  protection and I regularly have to wonder around and check each tree to ensure they haven't been damaged. If some gnawing has happen then protect it further.


I looked for insects by not many ladybirds etc around. Lots of birds everything from Buzzards to Pigeons and magpies.

No comments: